Monday, January 24, 2011

Milford Trek Part 4


Day three was the killer. It is an ascent to Mackinnon Pass, with switchbacks up the mountain and then back down again totaling 9 miles. We went from rainforest to alpine meadows, and could look across at several glaciers on the adjacent peaks. We were in the clouds, so at first couldn't see much, but the sun came out and it was really something to behold. I'm glad I didn't know how bad the descent was going to be, because I was feeling relieved to be up there finally, and if I had known how painful going downhill with a backpack on would be, I probably would have begged for a helicopter rescue.


So we started the descent, and after a fall and some dehydration, I pretty much hit the wall around 5 pm. I just couldn't get my legs to work. Pat was also exhausted, and his feet hurt, so it was hard to know what to do. I decided to take the boots off and put my Ecco sandals on, which was a big help to my poor toes, but I just couldn't move very fast and we still had several miles to go to our next hut.

Pat went ahead hoping he could drop his pack and come back to help me, and Chris offered to carry my pack for me, which was really so kind. But Pat declined, and came back when he realized how far the hut still was, and actually tried to carry both packs for a bit.

While Pat had gone ahead, one of the young couples came along and offered me a second walking pole, as he said it is really a lot easier to go downhill with two poles, but I said no and thanked him. He offered again when he saw Pat further down, and Pat brought the pole back to me. It really did help.

I'm still embarrassed to admit all of this, as it isn't easy for me to ask for help. And Pat was also exhausted, and shouldn't have been carrying two heavy packs. So along comes Max and his wife Ingrid and their two boys, pictured below, and Max sees Pat struggling with two packs and pretty much insists on carrying it. He carried his own pack and mine the last several miles to the Dumpling Hut.

Here are Max and Ingrid and their sons. The Milford sandflies were attacking right then so I don't think the boys appreciated posing for the photo ..

No comments:

Post a Comment