Monday, April 11, 2011

Ayasofia ...ancient church, then mosque, now museum ...

Our next stop on the walkabout was Istanbul, Turkey. When we were first planning our trip, the other option was Cairo, Egypt. Mohammed Maray, my partner in St. Cloud, is from Alexandria, Egypt and he advised that this time of the year would not be the best to see Egypt. I'm not sure if he could anticipate the major changes happening in his country this year, but needless to say we were happy with our choice. Flying into the city is beautiful with it's tiled roofs, waterways and islands, and well organized landscape. It is a city of many contrasts - Asia meets Europe. islam and christianity, ancient city with many historical sites and a very modern, efficient tram and metro system. It has always been a merchant city and I think you could find just about everything you would ever need here ( It's kind of like the Mills Fleet Farm of Turkey). The neighborhoods seem to cater to one particular item - like wedding dresses, music instruments, hardware stores, shoes stores, spice markets, and of course rug "outlets". The Grand Bazaar was overwhelming with it's jewelry, clothing and carpet shops - makes the Mall of America look
tame. We enjoyed our time walking the streets and enjoying early spring weather, taking in the sights and sounds. The food is very good, especially the Turkish flat bread served warm and puffy out of the oven. There are also plenty of sweet stores filled with honey, soaked baklava and many varieties of Turkish delight. The history was fascinating, the architecture was beautiful, and the relaxation in the big city was appreciated. 

It was especially nice to spend some of the time with our niece Courtney Reed who has been teaching in Crete and is now on to Ireland as a nanny. She was able to catch us up on our photo transfers, computer updates, and provided lots of laughs and fun for us. I will say more about the next generation in a future blog.

Deb will describe my experience with a haircut in Istanbul, but let me preface her remarks with two comments. First, how many of you have been traumatized by that bad haircut in your youth?? Mine happened in 8th grade when I got the flat-top style I did not order!!! Second, I think I can count on one hand the number of people who have cut my hair in the past 30 years, and I wish to take the time to thank them at this time for easing my anxieties. 

A word or two also about the beard. Basically, it's been easier and cheaper traveling with one than trying to shave every day. I will share some of the comments about the growth along the way, and who I remind people of...

1. Harrison Ford ( thanks George - Canadian student from Toronto)
2. Dr. House ( Ludmilla from Russia)
3. Kenny Rogers ( ouch!!)
4. Omar Sharif ( thank you Istanbul)
5. Old man ( thanks to you know who)

You are welcome to offer your positive!! comments on the blog.

2 comments:

  1. Pat, you are simply gorgeous Pat, the other fella's listed don't count. (m7mw

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say I once had a much younger looking doctor who resembled this older gentleman....:) You two look great and am so enjoying reading your blog and talking w/Dr. Mackenzie from time to time about it! Stay safe..Gayle

    ReplyDelete