Friday, June 3, 2011

Roseta ...

And finally there was Roseta. We saw her at home. She had a large external thyroid cancer and is not expected to live very long. She was not eating much and had become weaker and thinner. We didn't have much to offer in terms of changes to her treatments, but we both sat by her side on several visits holding her hand. She is a beautiful woman who looks you straight in the eyes, smiles and then has a healing touch of comfort. We came to comfort, but in Roseta's case, we both felt we were the one's being comforted.

This was true throughout our stay in Chimbote. The people we met were poor, but rich in love, spirit, and reaching out to us. A memory and lesson that will stay with us always.

1 comment:

  1. Deb and Pat, What a lovely tribute you have posted to the people of Chimbote. I completely agree with your astute observations and, like you, I cannot forget the love and kindness I received from the people I met there. I also will include the two of you in my memories of Chimbote. Deb, in one short yet pointed conversation, you gave my sanity a boost that got me through the last few days of my trip. Pat, I would not have climbed Cerro de la Paz if I had not had your confident footprints to follow. And thanks for taking my camera from me and taking one of the few pictures I have of myself Peru. I actually look relaxed and happy--I must have felt comfortable with the photographer! Thanks for sharing this blog and for sharing yourselves with so many. I am grateful to have crossed your path on your amazing journey!

    ReplyDelete